You’ve probably seen the words “architecturally designed” on the websites of builders, developers and real estate agents. But what exactly does this mean when it comes to buying or building a granny flat?
To cut through the marketing jargon we’ve spelled out exactly what the difference may be between a regular granny flat and an architecturally designed one.
What is an architecturally designed granny flat?
If you see these two words describing a granny flat, it simply means that a professional architect had input into designing the plans and selecting the materials of the build.
This gives you peace of mind knowing that the designs, materials and processes that go into your building are of a high quality. On the other hand, granny flats that aren’t architecturally designed give you no such guarantees and may not be built to the same standards.
What are the benefits of an architecturally designed granny flat?
Architects get paid the big bucks for a reason. The input of a good architect at the early stages can elevate a structure in many ways, such as:
- Improved functionality: the end use of the building is kept in mind and design features are incorporated to enable that use.
- Better natural light: through the smart placement and design of windows and glass panels architecturally designed buildings may let in more natural light.
- Smarter use of materials: every material in an architecturally designed building is chosen for a reason. In Bibo builds, for example, all glass is double glazed to make our builds warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- A more attractive design: architects don’t focus solely on function, they also consider form to create unique buildings that look great.
- Higher level of durability: when an architect designs a space, they use building processes and materials that last. That’s why Bibo builds have a 10 year warranty.
All these little benefits add up, making architecturally designed granny flats more comfortable, more attractive and longer lasting.
Are architecturally designed granny flats customisable?
If you’ve got your own ideas for the design of your new granny flat, you may want to tweak details to suit your specific needs and tastes.
Bibo’s granny flat’s offer countless opportunities for customisation, each of which has been considered by our team of leading architects. This includes:
- Exterior cladding: customise the look of the timber cladding on your granny flat’s exterior by choosing between three different stain colours.
- Interior floorplan: choose between three different floorplans to make sure your granny flat is fit for purpose.
- Facades: do you want your granny flat to be open or private? Choose between three different combinations of timber panels and double-glazed windows.
These options for customisation mean that you can have input into your granny flat’s design, backed by the expertise and experience of a professional architect.
Keen to hear more about Bibo’s builds? Get in touch today for a chat with one of our friendly team members.